A message from Dr. Gibson: Please check your student’s Progress Report using Home Access Center on Wednesday, April 17. Also, be sure to check out our upcoming volunteer opportunities, programs, and events. I hope you have a great weekend.
Dr. McCarthy's Retirement Reception Invitation
JTHS invites the community to attend a special celebration honoring Dr. Cheryl McCarthy’s 33 years of service to Joliet Township High School. The event takes place on Thursday, June 20, 2019 from 4 to 7 p.m. at the Jacob Henry Mansion Estate, 15 S. Richards Street in Joliet. The event will be held in the outdoor courtyard, weather permitting. The program begins at 4:30 p.m. The $20 admission includes appetizers and proceeds benefiting the Dr. Cheryl McCarthy Scholarship Fund. Entertainment will be provided by the JTHS Orchestra and Joliet Central and West High School Bands. Tickets may be purchased online at http://bit.ly/McCarthy_Celebration
Tip of the Week: Review student's Progress Report on HAC on Wednesday #JTAchievesTogether
Progress Reports can be viewed online through Home Access Center beginning Wednesday, April 17. See your progress report on Home Access Center (HAC) online or using the Eschool Plus Family App on your smartphone or tablet. For HAC help, please call (815) 727-6860. You may also contact our Family Engagement Liaison, Lisa Guzman, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (815) 727-6776.
Talk to Your Student About Underage Drinking
The Partnership for Drug-Free Kids (www.drugfree.org) offers some guidance on how to talk to your studenta bout underage drinking. Click here to download the flyer with helpful talking points.
Tip from Joliet Police Department: Apps Parents Should Know About
With all the current forms of social media out there, the Joliet Police Department thought it would be beneficial to share this info with parents. Please be aware of what apps your children may be using, and discuss the important of internet safety with them.
Tiny Tigers Fun Fair
The Joliet West National Honor Society will host the 2019 Tiny Tigers Fun Fair on Sunday, April 14 from 1 to 4p.m. at Joliet West High School, 401 N. Larkin Avenue in Joliet. Tickets are 2 for $1, wristbands are $12. A Family pack is available for $20 which includes wristbands for the whole family.
Joliet Township High School Summer Academy
Joliet Township High School is hosting Summer Academies for future JTHS students going into 6th, 7th, or 8th grade. The summer programs engage young students in fun projects centered around early exposure to the five JTHS Career Academies and career exploration. A variety of programs will be available with topics ranging from cooking, photography, STEM, medical exploration, chess, and more.
Each summer academy will run for one week, Monday-Thursday, from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., during the weeks of July 8, July 15, and July 25. Academy programs are held at Joliet Central and Joliet West. Students may sign up for multiple 1-week programs to gain exposure to various academies and careers. A t-shirt, water bottle, and bag are provided to all academy participants.
Online registration opens April 22nd! Limited spots will be available and are anticipated to fill quickly for the academies. A waitlist will be available, and families will be contacted if space becomes available. See attached flyers for camp information.
Contact Yolanda Hossack at 815-727-6800 email@example.com if you need to cancel your registration and/or need to clarify your enrollment.
Grandparents Raising Children Group Hosts Meeting Series
Joliet Township High School Bridge Builder Mary White invites all grandparents raising children to upcoming meetings from 9 to 10 a.m. at the JTHS Administrative Center, 300 Caterpillar Drive in Joliet. Meeting attendees will have the opportunity to participate in the Multigenerational Food Box Program through the Northern Illinois Food Bank. Please contact Kristine Schlismann at (815) 727-6967 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP for one or more of the following meetings:
- April 23: Youth Mental Health & Medication Management presented by Rita Gray, Psy.D., M.S., R.N., Will County Health Department Director of Clinical Training
- May 28: Senior Services & Self-Care presented by Barry Kolanowski, Executive Director for Senior Services of Will County
- June 25: Adoption, Guardianship, Adult Guardianship & Back Up Planning presented by Patti Fell, Director of Development and Community Outreach for the Center for Law & Social Work
Become a judge for the 2019 Health Career Fair
The Health and Medicine Academy at Joliet West High School is hosting a Health Careers Fair on May 2, 2019, in which students will present on a healthcare career of their choice. We are anticipating the need for at least 12 judges for each of our 55-minute class periods. Each judge would be asked to evaluate approximately 6 projects during each period. Judges will be needed for Period 2 (8:20 to 9:15), Period 4 (10:20 to 11:15), Period 6 (12:20 to 1:15,) and Period 8 (2:20 to 3:20.) If you are able to help with Joliet West’s Healthcare Career Fair, please fill out our form at https://bit.ly/2EM40zL or contact Mary Spata, RN, at email@example.com or call 815-774-7400 ext. 47370.
Student Volunteer Opportunities:
- Washington Junior High College and Career Night: JTHS student volunteers are needed to help at the Washington Junior High College and Career Night on Wednesday, April 24 at Washington Junior High School, 402 Richards Street in Joliet. Duties include ushering, registration, set-up, clean up, supervision, or delivering raffle tickets. Volunteer service take place from 3:30 to 7 p.m. If you would like to volunteer, please email Ms. Bernal at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spring Job Fair: Isaac Singleton Elementary Schoolis hosting a Spring Job Fair for our families on April 25th from 4:30-7:00. We are looking for support in the following areas: Childcare, Translators, and Interview Clothes selection. We have donations of interview attire available for anyone who may be in need, in order to dress appropriately for the job fair. There will be three dates for parents to come in a pick their items:Tuesday, 4/23 & Wednesday, 4/24, from 3:30-4:30; Thursday, 4/25 (Job Fair)- open from 4:30- 7:00. Support is needed for both the men's and women's clothing sides. To volunteer, please contact Ms. Haynes at email@example.com or Ms. Skwarczynski at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pilcher Park Fairy Festival and Pancake Breakfast:The Pilcher Park Nature Center is in need of student volunteers to assist with the Fairy Festival and Pancake Breakfast on May 4 from 8:30 am to 2:15 pm at the Pilcher Park Nature Center, located at 2501 Highland Park Dr. Joliet, IL 60432.Student volunteer tasks include set up, clean up, bussing tables, assistance with wand making, the jumpy house, horse carriage, fairy school, crafts, games and parking. The majority of the tasks are outside and would require dressing up. The park district has costumes they will provide. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Ms. Katie Zaban at email@example.com
Upcoming JWHS events include:
• April 14: Tiny Tiger Fun Fair
• April 16: Board of Education Meeting
• April 19: Spring Holiday (No School)
• April 25: SIP Day A (Late Start)
• April 29: Coffee & Community Conversation