Should an emergency or disaster situation ever arise in our area while school is in session, we want you to be aware that JTHS has made preparations to respond effectively to such situations.
How to Respond in an Emergency
As a parent or guardian, we understand your concern for your student during an emergency situation. Cooperation is necessary in any emergency. If an emergency situation should occur, please keep the following in mind:
- JTHS Information Line- In the case of an emergency, do not call the school. This blocks phone lines. JTHS has set up a phone line to immediately communicate emergency information. Call 815-724-1800 to obtain information in an emergency situation.
- JTHS Web site- Visit our Web site www.jths.org to obtain emergency information. In the case of an emergency, information will be posted immediately.
- Automated Phone Messenger System- JTHS will immediately communicate emergency information using our Automated Phone Messenger System. The system allows us to deliver a phone message to all parents and guardians.
- Local Radio Station- Emergency information will be communicated to WJOL. Tune to 1340 AM for information.
- Social Media- Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook. Emergency information will be sent out using these tools.
- Emergency Closing Center- In the instance of a school closing, JTHS will immediately report school closure information to the Emergency Closing Center. Parents, students and employees can receive automatic e-mails from the Emergency Closing Center if there are any changes to the school schedule or if there is a school closing. To sign up for this free service, or to check the status of any closings, visit www.emergencyclosings.com. If you have any questions, comments, or problems with the ECC system, e-mail email@example.com or call 312-222-4467.
- Parents, students and employees can check the status of school closings the following ways:
- Go to the ECC public website at http://www.emergencyclosingcenter.com/complete.htmland search for the facility by typing the name and city or by the main phone number of the facility.
- Receive email notifications by signing up at www.emergencyclosings.com.
- Listen to WGN Radio 720-AM, WBBM Radio 780-AM or watch CBS Ch. 2, NBC Ch. 5, ABC Ch. 7, FOX 32, WGN-TV Ch. 9 or CLTV cable for closing information.
- Please remember that if we encounter a major disaster during school hours, your student will be kept at school until they are picked up by a parent or guardian. We will not release students to unidentified individuals.
- Avoid the rumor mill. With text messaging and other emerging technologies, false information is easily spread. JTHS has several tools in place to communicate accurate emergency information. Please use the communication tools listed above before jumping to conclusions. JTHS is dedicated to providing a safe and healthy environment for your student and believes in immediate and effective communication.
A Proactive Approach
JTHS believes in a proactive approach to school security. Parents and students can contribute greatly to school security and safety. Please call the School Violence Tip Line at 1-800-477-0024 if you know of a security or safety issue. This is a way for students and parents to anonymously alert school officials of threats of violence in school.