The JTHS Job Shadowing Experience provides all sophomore students with the unique opportunity to gain a better understanding of their career interests. By partnering with area businesses and employers, this experience ensures students walk away with incredible knowledge and a personalized first-hand encounter to guide them in their career planning.
Why Job Shadowing?
- Gives students the opportunity to figure out if their career interests are really what they want to pursue in the future.
- Allows students to make informed decisions about their post-secondary options
- Helps students understand the connection of classroom learning to real life applications
- Gives students the opportunity to learn about the education and skills required for their career interests
- Allows students an opportunity to network with others who share the same career interests as they do
Before Job Shadowing
In order to better serve your needs, you will be required to select three career areas you are interested in possibly pursuing. These interests will determine possible career partners for your job shadowing experience. Then, you need to select a Job Shadowing Option. The three options are outlined below.
Students who do not have any connections but want to job shadow on their own time should select this option. With Option 2, JTHS provides students with a business partner based on career interests. The student is then responsible for contacting the business to schedule the job shadowing experience in order to complete the program requirements.
Option 3 is designed for students with busy schedules. If a student selects this option, JTHS assigns students to a job shadowing experience based on career interests. JTHS will transport students to a from the experience. This takes place during a school day and meets all program requirements.
**This is meant for those who are unable to complete Option 1 and 2 as spaces are limited!
During the Job Shadowing Experience
- Dress PROFESSIONALLY (business casual- no t-shirts, ripped jeans, hoodies)
- Arrive to the site ON TIME
- Bring your Job Shadowing packet with you to the site
- Interview your employer with the provided questions
- Be courteous and respectful at ALL times
- THANK your site host prior to leaving
English 2 Connection: After your job shadowing experience, you will compile your photos, interview question responses, and narrative piece into a multimedia presentation summarizing your job shadowing experience. This multimedia presentation serves as the Summative Assessment for Unit 4B in all English 2 classes. The due date for this assessment is up to your English 2 teacher.
WHO: All English 2 students are REQUIRED to complete the Job Shadowing Experience.
WHAT: Observing someone at work and Learning what is involved in a typical work day.
WHERE: A location selected by you or the school based on your future career plans
WHEN: All Job Shadowing needs to be completed before May 12, 2020
HOW LONG: Your Job Shadowing Experience needs to be 2-4 consecutive hours.
After Your Job Shadowing Experience
Once you have completed your job shadowing experience, you need to fill out the Completion Survey. In order to earn credit, you MUST submit the survey. Hold on to your interview questions and responses as these will be used for your English 2 Summative Assessment. Send a Thank You note or e-mail to your site host(s) thanking them for the opportunity.
"I shadowed a pediatric nurse at St. Joe's Hospital for my job shadowing experience my sophomore year. It gave me a better understanding of what a doctor's typical day was like, and it gave me good experience to talk about in my college applications and interviews for medical school. It was also a great way to gain familiarity with different specialties in the medical environment to help me narrow down my career interests."
Tia Roland- Student at Joliet West