Joliet West High School Career Panel Kicks Off STEM Week
March 20, 2017 01:34 PM
Students in the Joliet West High School Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Academy attended a panel discussion focused on careers in STEM on Monday, March 13th as the kick-off event for STEM Academy Week, spearheaded by librarians Amy Lingafelter, Amy Walsh, and Eva Thurman-Keup in collaboration with Melissa Stapleton, STEM Academy Coordinator.
The panel featured local professionals representing different careers within STEM. Participants were:
- Chris Nelson, Operations Management, Crane Nuclear
- Emily Zvolanok, Geographic Information Systems Analyst, Argonne National Laboratory
- Jennifer Fowler, Cyber Security Analyst, Argonne National Laboratory
- Ken Copeland, Mechanical Management Joliet Refinery Exxon
- Mark Guirguis, Structural Engineer, Brindley Engineering Corporation
- Brian Bell, Carpenter & Woods Instructor, Joliet West High School
Panelists described why they chose their careers, what a day looks like in the profession, and the valuable impact that their work has on society. Students had the opportunity to ask questions as well.
Key themes of the panel included robotics, physics, engineering, coding, electricity, virtual reality, and more. The career panel’s main focus was to bring exposure and expertise to reach the students in the STEM academy.
Nelson said, “It was an exciting opportunity to share my expertise to help students make decisions about their future.”
Copeland added, “It’s valuable to share with students the endless opportunities out there and how to achieve them.”
About Joliet West STEM Academy Week
Joliet West High School Celebrated STEM Academy Week from Monday, March 13th to Friday, March 17th by hosting educational activities in the library every day of the week. Events for the week include:
- Monday: STEM Panel in the Library
- Tuesday: Pi Day MakerSpace math classes
- Wednesday: Science classes in the Library
- Thursday: Break in the toolbox for students that are in STEM electives
- Friday: CTE & Advisory MakerSpace, gives students a chance to create their own robot or piano out of electricity materials
- All Week: Blueprints and project designs from STEM students
The STEM Academy week is part of a series of Academy Weeks that Joliet West librarians Amy Lingafelter, Amy Walsh, and Eva Thurman-Keup host in collaboration with academy coordinators throughout the year to promote career exploration among Joliet West High School students.
View Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jths204/albums/72157679927084120