Joliet West High School Hosts Business Management & Information Systems Academy Week
October 30, 2017 11:36 AM
Joliet West High School celebrated its Business Management & Information Systems (BMIS) Academy Week from Monday, October 16th to Friday, October 18th by hosting educational activities in the library every day of the week.
The BMIS Academy week is part of a series of Academy Weeks that Joliet West High School librarians, Amy Lingafelter and Amy Walsh, host in collaboration with academy coordinators throughout the year to promote career exploration among Joliet West High School students.
Events for the BMIS Academy week included:
- Monday – BMIS Career Panel
- Tuesday – Marketing Focus Group Taste Test Day
- Wednesday – Build Your Resume & Interview Skills Day
- Thursday (SIP B) – BMIS “Get a Job” Breakout Edu
- Friday – Job Application Help & Final Marketing Taste Test
- All Week –Displays & Information: Dress for Success, Job Applications, Learn How to Tie a Tie
On Monday, October 16th, the Joliet West Library kicked off the BMIS Academy Week with the BMIS Career Panel, which featured the following speakers:
- Ashley Conklin, Coordinator, Joliet Junior College Culinary Arts Recruitment
- Kate Forster, Application Administrator, Joliet Township High School
- Jennifer Fowler, Cybersecurity Analyst, Argonne National Laboratory
- Ken Miller, Director of Community Relations, Slammers Stadium
“After spending thirty-four years in education, I value students being able to make a good career choice. It was a pleasure sharing my experiences with the students,” said Ken Miller, Director of Community Relations for the Slammers Stadium.
The Marketing Taste Test activities on Tuesday and Friday were student-led, in which students had the opportunity to taste different cookies and share their opinions as part of a survey. This reinforced class lessons, and students were excited and engaged.
“Leading a market research project at the Joliet West library was a great experience that allowed me to look into a career in business. I really enjoyed this experience and learned a lot,” said Joliet West student Kayleigh Morris.
The Academy Weeks are a great opportunity for Joliet West students to explore several career pathways. The library is the perfect place to access information, not only through literature, but also through programs like these where students can interact with professionals, hands-on tools, and technology.
View Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jths204/24099679338/