Joliet West High School Career Panel Kicks Off Human Services Week
September 28, 2016 02:17 PM
Students in the Joliet West High School Human Services Academy attended a panel discussion focused on careers in human services on Monday, September 26th as the kick-off event for Human Services Academy Week, spearheaded by librarians Amy Lingafelter and Amy Walsh.
The panel featured local professionals representing different careers within human services. Participants were:
- Educator Tracy Spesia, University of St. Francis College of Education & JTHS Board of Education
- Lieutenant Floyd Woods, Joliet Fire Department
- Attorney John Stiglich, Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP
- Clinical Therapist Juline Schumacher, Schumacher Counseling and Wellness
- Officer Tony Lakota, Joliet Police Department
Dan Markun, Joliet West High School Academy Coordinator, said of the panel, “It’s a great way to promote both the Human Services Academy and the diverse career pathways that relate to human services. The experiences we are providing encourage students to explore and develop their career interests.”
Panelists described why they chose their careers, what a day looks like in the profession, and the valuable impact that their work has on society. Students had the opportunity to ask questions as well.
Key themes of the panel included the passion for helping others, the impact of community involvement, and opportunities available to students.
Spesia said, “Events like these allow members of the community to support the schools and provide the students with the opportunity to interact with local professionals.”
About Joliet West Human Services Academy Week
Joliet West High School is celebrating its first-ever Human Services Academy Week from Monday, September 26th to Friday, September 30th by hosting educational activities in the library every day of the week. Events for the week include:
- Monday: Human Services Panel in the Library
- Tuesday: Librarians Rocking the Vote in Government Classes and a Replay of Presidential Debates during Advisory
- Wednesday: Therapy Dog in the Library
- Thursday: CSI in the Library with Forensic Classes
- Friday: Mock Election results, CSI in Advisory
- All Week: Voter Registration in the Library
- All Week: Mock Election in the Cafeteria & Library
The Human Services Academy week is the first of a series of Academy Weeks that Joliet West librarians, Amy Lingafelter and Amy Walsh, will host in collaboration with academy coordinators throughout the year to promote career exploration among Joliet West High School students.
Group Photo Identification: Mary Pelzer, Tracy Spesia, Floyd Woods, John Stiglich, Juline Schumacher, Tony Lakota, Felicity Jones and Julian Perez.