Joliet Central Alumni host first-ever “Life After Central” Alumni Panel and Workshops
November 7, 2016 11:00 AM
Alumni of Joliet Central High School hosted the first-ever “Life After Central: A conversation with Alumni” event on Saturday, November 5th at Joliet Central High School, 201 East Jefferson Street in Joliet.
The event was spearheaded by alumnus Paulina Martinez, Class of ’08, who wanted to provide alumni with a chance to share their stories with current students and parents to empower them for success during and after high school.
The following alumni were featured:
- Alicia Morales, Class of ’88; Trustee, Joliet Junior College
- Candice Quinerly, Class of ’06; Education Director, Joliet Area Historical Museum
- Oscar Zarate, Class of ’08; PhD Candidate, Northwestern University
- Abel Amezcua, Class of ’07; Admissions Counselor, Roosevelt University
- Aseneth Ruiz, Class of ’98; School Counselor, Joliet Central High School
- Constance Ervins, Class of ’08; Admissions Counselor, Northern Illinois University
- Lynn Ramos, Class of ’07; Pipefitter, Pipefitters Local 597
Key themes included the importance of getting involved and taking risks, fostering relationships with teachers and peers, and asking questions in order to keep growing and learning.
The Alumni presentations and panel discussion were followed by workshops on leadership, the college search, resume building, understanding financial aid, and college tips for undocumented or DACAmented students, with additional guest speakers including Beth Ardaugh of Joliet Junior College and Eric Ruiz of the University of St. Francis.