JTHS Historical Timeline
Joliet’s first high school was established. Superintendent Colonel D. H. Darling ran a school for 200 students and five faculty members on the corner of Chicago and Webster streets.
Joliet Township High School District #204 was established
Joliet Township High School District #204 was dedicated in April of 1901 at 201 E. Jefferson Street. When the school opened it also housed Joliet Junior College, the nation’s first and now oldest community college. Students were offered six years of education. High school seniors would graduate and enter directly into Joliet Junior College, at no cost to their families. The first Board of Education was comprised of the following officers: The Honorable A.O. Marshall, President, Truman A. Mason, Secretary, and Board Members: Honorable D.F. Higgins, Henry Leach, and Henry Banzet. Dr. J. Stanley Brown was the district’s first Superintendent.
201. E. Jefferson building was expanded
201. E. Jefferson building was expanded --- Boys’ Gymnasium
201. E. Jefferson building was expanded --- New Auditorium
201. E. Jefferson building was expanded --- Girls’ Gymnasium
The district opened Joliet East High School at 1101 Mills Road
The district opened Joliet West High School at 401 N. Larkin
201 E. Jefferson Street Building was re-named as Joliet Central High School
Joliet Junior College moved to their own campus at 1215 Houbolt Ave.
201 E. Jefferson building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Joliet East High School was closed and sold to the Illinois Job Corps due to declining district enrollment.
Purchased property to begin acquiring land to expand the Central Campus Athletic fields.
Athletic programs were combined due to budget constraints.
Transfer of property to the City of Joliet for construction on Firehouse #6 which is located on 2049 Onieda Street.
District celebrates its 100th year anniversary.
Joliet Township implemented first strategic plan.
150 acres of property was purchased at the corner of Black Road and Bronk Road for potential district expansion.
West Expansion Phase 1: addition of 35 classrooms, 1 workroom, and 1 office.
West Expansion Phase 2a: addition of new cafeteria, new faculty cafeteria, kitchen, textbook center, and community entrance The existing cafeteria was converted into two science classrooms, technology training room, offices for Curriculum Directors and Content Specialists as well as a room to house ISS and extra storage space for the Maintenance Department.
West Expansion Phase 2b: addition of 16 classrooms.
Completion of Central Campus Expansion known as the Vera Smith annex. This added sixteen classrooms, computer labs, an addition to the Technical and Industrial building to house auto and welding classes. A bridge was constructed to connect the Smith and T & I buildings to the main Central Campus.
90 Casseday was purchased for future expansion of Joliet Central’s athletic fields.
Resurfaced the floor of the West Campus physical education multi-purpose room and reconstructed baseball and softball dugouts.
84.95 acres of the Black and Bronk Road property was sold to the Will County Forest Preserve.
JSA constructed concession stand located by the softball facilities.
Central Campus main and east gyms floors were resurfaced.
Purchased 139 East Van Buren Street (Rendels Property) for future expansion of Central Campus.
Began construction of field houses at both the Central and West Campuses. The field house construction was made possible by a positive ( over 65%) referendum that was no additional cost to the taxpayer. The West Campus field house is 54,000 square feet and can house over 3000 students. There are four basketball, six volleyball, and twelve badminton courts along with a full track with high and long jump stations. The Central Campus field house is 49,000 square feet. It has three basketball, six volleyball, and twelve badminton courts along with a full track with high and long jump stations.
Central Campus indoor air quality project begins. The IAQ project brought HVAC, electrical and other systems up to date while respecting the historic architecture. Along with the improvement to air quality, the project also encompasses wiring for technological equipment, and improved, energy-efficient lighting.
Second writing of Strategic plan for years 2009 to 2014.
District Offices relocated to 300 Caterpillar Drive from Joliet Central Campus. The building was previously occupied by the Joliet Herald News. The district gained space for ten professional development rooms, Board of Education meeting space, central storage and distribution space, and community and staff childcare center.
Reconstructed Central Campus softball fields and added science classrooms in place of the District Offices .
Established separate athletic teams for Joliet Central and Joliet West.
Reconstructed baseball and softball dugouts and resurfaced tennis courts at Central Campus.
3901 Olympic Boulevard was purchased to house the District Transportation Center which was previously housed on Joliet Central Campus. This facility is a 148,000 square foot warehouse and in a prime location. It houses almost the entire fleet of 150 vehicles.
Purchased and demolished 152 Youngs Avenue (Mahalik Property) for the expansion of Central Campus athletic fields.
Addition of West Campus Press box, resurfaced tennis courts, and reconstructed baseball fields.
Artificial field turf football fields and new tracks were installed at both Central and West Campuses. Central Campus athletic field improvements included press box and bleachers.
Completion of West Campus addition. The addition included eight science classrooms, two additional classrooms, added a hallway to the field house, and a concession stand.
Joliet Central is recognized by the Illinois Architects as one of 150 great architectural landmarks in Illinois. Joliet central is one of four schools in the state to be on the list.
JTHS receives the Joliet Historic Preservation Award because of the Joliet Central Door Restoration project
Central Campus is entirely re-roofed
A ten year lease was approved for a store front location on 131 Collins Street to house the Special Education Transition Center. The center contains four classrooms, offices, conference room, and a common area for training in proper use of kitchen and laundry equipment.
Lights and additional parking are added to Joliet Central Stadium
Acquired 80 acres of property through the CenterPoint settlement agreement at Manhattan Road and Rowell Avenue in Elwood.
Purchase of residential properties on Bodio Place for Joliet Central Athletic expansion.
Repurposed the former District Transportation Center to house the Infant Childcare Center at 104 Collins Street. The center houses three early childhood classrooms, work room, two offices, kitchen and shared space, and an outdoor play area.
Demolished Central Campus Little Theater (formally St. John Lutheran Church 1904 - 1978) to begin construction on the Student Center addition
West home and visitors outdoor bleachers were renovation
Completion of the Joliet Central Student Center addition adding 43,000 square feet which features a new cafeteria, collaboration space, credit union, book store, technology help desk, new main entrance and galleria space.
Construction was completed on the Joliet Central outdoor concession stand
Third writing of the District Strategic Plan for years 2015 through 2020
Opening of the 43,000 square foot Joliet Central Student Center and Galleria. The new addition includes a cafeteria, kitchen, student bookstore, Technology Help Desk, security entrance, presentation rooms, a multi-purpose galleria connection and the student-run Abri Credit Union.
Periodic Review of the District Strategic Plan for years 2015-2021